The enterprise will need to retain a number of important employees from the departments being “outsourced.” Such employees become critical to the success of the program by
- providing strategic vision for new initiatives;
- monitoring the service provider’s performance levels;
- interacting with the service provider’s personnel to provide guidance, request information and promote integration of the outsourced services in the enterprise;
- serving as a core for possible future reversal or revision of the outsourcing process if circumstances were to justify it; and
- integrating the work for all external service providers with internal operations.
Enterprise customers may outsource an entire business function. In doing so, they should be prudent about retaining certain employees with skill sets and personal knowledge of the outsourced processes.