The telecommunications industry comprises many different segments, such as telecommunications carriers (including satellite, wired, wireless and cable), sellers of handsets (especially mobile phones) and telecom-enabled media (such as Internet video and messaging) and telecom-downloaded content (such as software, music and video.
Outsourcers provide a wide range of services to the telecom industry.
- Research and Development (“R&D”) services for design and engineering of new technologies in mobile telephone handsets to incorporate, for example, Internet-Protocol (“IP”) multimedia systems and mobile intelligence networks.
- Contract Manufacturing (“CM”) / Electronics Manufacturing Services (“EMS”), such as
- hiring an Original Design Manufacturer (“ODM”) to design and produce mobile telephone and mobile telephone engines (the handsets and the software that enables the basic operations) and
- hiring a logistics provider to assist in procurement and supply-chain management for in-house manufacturing operations that are retained to enable the mobile-phone handset manufacturer to cut costs in an economic downturn to adjust flexibly downward for volatile demand patterns.
- IT platforms, software development and connectivity tools:
- A telecom carrier hired an ITO service company to launch a Mobile Application Store that was powered by the outsourcer’s proprietary “ready-to-launch” software application platform that enables end-users to access “a bouquet of applications” drawn from an outsourcer-managed ecosystem of Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) and innovators.
- A leading cable operator hired an ITO service provider to launch “next-generation” home gateway devices for voice and data services.
- An Independent Software Vendor hired an ITO service provider to develop a cloud-based, closed and secure end-to-end system that consolidates and delivers transaction statements, promotions, catalogues, and other media digitally from businesses to households.
- BPO and CCO:
- Customer Support, such as providing a customer self service capability and customer retention.
- Software development for a life-saving, award-winning emergency alert system to ensure timely SMSes (messages to mobile telephones) and voice warnings to community residents.
- Customer help-desk support, including HRO functions for efficient hiring, training and supervision of help-desk employees providing customer support in multiple languages for many countries.
- HR Outsourcing:
- Recruitment process outsourcing
- Payroll and benefits administration
As Internet-based services (Software-as-a-Service and Platform-as-a-Service) converge with “cloud computing” and traditional ERP consulting, IT applications development and maintenance (“ADM”) and IT infrastructure maintenance, the telecom industry is likely to be a focal point for new services that incorporate virtual services and in-house services into integrated suites.